Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lemon Blueberry Bread

We are snowed in. SNOWED IN. I live in Mobile, AL, also known as the most insanely hot and ridiculously humid city on earth. WE DON'T HAVE SNOW DAYS.

But today we did.

I would love to say that I got out and made a snow angel, build a snow man, and then made homemade snow cream with my children... but I didn't. I wasn't built for snow.

I did, however, realize half way through making lemon-blueberry muffin batter, that I couldn't find my muffin tin. Who does that? Who loses a muffin tin? Me, apparently. So I made lemon-blueberry bread. It was nothing short of serendipity, my friends. DELICIOUS.

Most of you know that I've been using Young Living essential oils. We've used them a number of ways, but I hadn't cooked with them yet. Today, however, I decided that since we are already breaking some sort of record with the weirdest weather on earth, that'd I'd also break away from my normal recipe and use a little lemon essential oil. And since I have absolutely nothing to do except clean my house during nap time today (and since I'm just not feeling that), I thought I'd share my recipe with y'all. I tweaked a recipe from Joy of Cooking, so shout out to the person who came up with the original, but I'm not going to lie, this one is better.

Preheat Oven to 350.
Mix together in a bowl:

2 cups of flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
a little of salt (maybe 1/2 tsp or so)

in a mixer, combine:

2 eggs
1/2 stick melted butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
4 drops of Young Living lemon essential oil

Slowly add the dry mix into the wet ingredients. Add about 1 cup of blueberries. Pour into a greased bread pan.

For topping:
combine 1/2 stick melted butter
about 1/3 cup flour
about 1/2 cup sugar
(play with the amount until it's dry enough to crumble over the top the bread batter)

Once you've crumbled the topping over the batter, bake for about 45-55 minutes at 350.

Let cool.

Slice, enjoy. Wait for snow to melt. Repeat.



I hope y'all enjoy this as much as we did! If anyone has any recipes that call for essential oils, please send it my way. I want to try a few more - and soon!

Stay warm, friends!

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the Glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31

2 comments:

  1. Thania Webb is a great friend of mine who has been using these special oils for 20 years. She makes the best hummus ever and a to-die-for chocolate sauce with Orange oil in it. You can find her online and FB at The Oil Cabinet. I know you will enjoy her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK you, Rachel! So excited to look that up!

    ReplyDelete