Thursday, January 23, 2014

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth... At Least a Co-pay!

I love modern medicine. I really, really do. I love every single thing about my OB, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she was a God-send. She took incredible care of Shep and me, and there's just no way to say how much I appreciate her and how much I respect her knowledge and expertise. I also love our children's pediatrician. Our last visit was a well-check up (yes, friends -- vaccines included), and I left her office truly knowing that she has been and will continue to be used to help keep my children well.

With that said, I also love prevention. I love the idea of strengthening our immune systems, and if that reduces the number of times that we go to the doctor, than HALLELUJAH! Not because I don't love our doctors, but because that means we are WELL. It also means we are one copay richer. Seriously - thirty bucks is thirty bucks, and I'd way rather have a date night than a doctor's visit. Can I get an "amen??" I also like the idea of being able to treat minor things that don't necessarily warrant a doctor's visit. It always seems so silly to waste a copay AND be exposed to all the funk in a doctor's office (especially with this awful flu and RSV going around) for issues like allergies, skin issues, stomach aches, colds, and other not-so-serious ailments, but not necessarily with a bunch of over-the-counter stuff. I have been searching for some time to strike the balance between modern medicine and natural remedies, and I've completely struck out -- until now!

A dear friend introduced me to Young Living essential oils. She had successfully taken her daughter off of allergy medicine (which was a HUGE deal!) and really recommended that I look into them. Her children's pediatrician was fully supportive of her decision to try the oils. I decided I would look into them, and after a good bit of reading and asking friends who used them what they thought, I bit the bullet and bought a kit. I am so glad I did! We are just getting started, but we've already seen great results from the oils: Luke's stomach issues were resolved with diluted peppermint oil. His eczema issues that were starting to make him uncomfortable are so much better. We've helped headaches, sleep issues and even stress and anxiety. 

There is one HUGE point that I want to pause and make, though. I think these oils are wonderful, but I know that any and all healing comes straight from the Ultimate Healer. We give full credit and glory to the Creator, not Creation. God has used these already, and I believe He will continue to use them in our lives, but just like I believe that modern medicine is merely a tool that He uses to heal, I believe these oils are merely means by which He may protect our health. I love remembering that He knew that a fallen world would be broken and sick, and that He would, in His mercy and love, make provisions for the unavoidable issues and illnesses we face. 

We always pray for wisdom as we travel down new paths, and as we begin to explore the ways that these oils can be used, we're doing it prayerfully and carefully. I'd LOVE to hear if any other families are giving them a try, and I would love to hear your experience so far! 

Just for fun, I thought I'd share one of my favorite ways to use theses oils. I have made two face creams: one for morning, and one for night, and I'm in LOVE. Here are the recipes:

Morning: 1/2 cup coconut oil, 5 drops of lemon, 5 drops of frankincense. 

Evening: 1/2 cup coconut oil, 5 drops of lavender, 5 drops of frankincense. 

I love, love, love them both! 



I also just made a honey and lemon scrub, and I love it so far. I'll share that recipe soon! :)

P.S. If anyone has a question about ordering, please email me! I'd love to help: annie.persinger@gmail.com Signing up is super complicated, so I'd be happy to walk you through the process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment