Monday, March 4, 2013

I love, love, love being their momma.

She's two and a half.
He's fifteen months.
Her favorite song is Jesus Loves Me.
His is Row, Row, Row Your Boat.
She just learned to sign "I love you."
He signs "more."
She always asks for us to tell her stories.
He always asks to be held, just like she used to.
She's growing up.

She can find a toy airplane, rock it, sing to it, and make it a baby.
He can find a baby doll, fly it across the room, and make it an airplane.
She has such a grateful heart.
He has such a tender heart.
She is such an answer to prayer.
He is such an answer to prayer.

No matter what my heart longs for, I hope I never, ever let what I want to become more important than what I already have: her and him.

I love how it's through parenthood that God has helped me grow in my relationship with Him. If I'm honest, it's through parenthood that He has even helped me want to know Him more. Wasn't it Enoch who was said to have had children before he walked with God? I think God uses parenthood as the beginning of a Spiritual journey for a lot of us.

This past week, as we are studying the life of Jacob, I was challenged to identify the evidence of God's love for him. I can't imagine more solid proof of God's love for him than when God identify's Himself, through the mouth of David, as the "God of Jacob." When I think of the joy I have in identifying myself as "Sarah Claire's mom" or "Luke's mom," I know that I love that specific title because I love them. I love considering that God takes something like parental joy in identifying Himself as the God of Jacob. Jacob, who would be called Israel. Israel, who would one day represent all believers.

Including me.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe every theologian cringes and my amateur interpretation, but I just love considering that God might delight in me in a more perfect, more pure way even than how I delight in my two children. And to think I sometimes struggle to trust Him.

"Fear the Lord, you His saints, for those who fear Him lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing." -Psalm 34: 8-10




















 




No comments:

Post a Comment